Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Hurricane Irene Had Other Plans...

So last Thursday, I had a one-way ticket to KC to go load up my stuff in a rental car and my mom and I were going to drive my stuff into NY. So I arrive in KC late Thursday night. I got to see both my sisters which was good. Woke up the next morning and had coffee with everyone except Lisa. And then mom and I set to work on sorting through my stuff AGAIN. Because after being in NY, I realized I didn't need a lot of the stuff I originally thought I couldn't live without. Then mom and I went and picked up a Toyota RAV 4 to pack and drive across the country.
My dad came home from work briefly to help stuff the rental car within an inch of its life. And by 2:30pm, mom and I were off. We made it into Indianapolis by 1 a.m. But were hearing some frightening things about this so-called hurricane that is supposed to hit the east coast. Of course, I paid for Internet at the hotel but naturally it didn't work. Work sent an email saying that the office was closing early and tentatively closed on Monday because the subways were shutting down on Saturday at noon!! What?!?!
I couldn't get any kind of definitive information on what this meant for mom and I as we were barreling towards a hurricane. Finally, my friend, Brandy, living in midtown tells me that the bridges and tunnels into the city were closing Saturday as well. Well. What do you do?
I called the rental company to see what they recommended, they told me because of the situation I wouldn't be charged as long as I brought back the car within 48 hours of JFK opening back up.
So what is the plan? Well, luckily, my best friend Stevo the night before had offered his apartment in case of this situation which happens to be in northern Delaware. So we just headed for his place instead. We arrived Saturday evening around 9 pm when the weather was starting to get bad. There were tornado and flood warnings all around us. We were very lucky, we did not lose power or have anything remotely disastrous. We just sat around and hung out with Stevo. I loved that I got to see his apartment and spend time with him before he gets all crazy with teaching and math.
The next day we set out to assess the damage of the town. There were a couple of trees down in the area and a lot of limbs and debris but other than that not too bad. We had a nice time checking out the cute little town and playing old school Super Nintendo games!!
It was hard to get information on when the bridges were opening but we got confirmation that they would definitely be opening for Monday so mom and I packed up our stuff and got back on the road.
I drove in NY for the first time and it wasn't that bad. I wouldn't want to do everyday but not the nightmare I anticipated.
So now my mom is up here until next week, helping me get my apartment organized and it is really coming together. Feeling much more like a home than it did a week ago. Well, I will have to save the adventures of my mom in the city for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment