Sunday, August 21, 2011

First New York Dating Experience

So I had my first date here in New York. I think that is a good sign that I am not even here 2 whole weeks and I already was asked out on a date. Although, once the idea of a date sunk in, I realized the idea of dating someone right now could give me an anxiety attack. So here is how it went down... (names have been changed to protect the unsuspecting)
While I was out last Thursday night, one of my new friends, Bart, asked me out. He said lots of flattering things and all of his friends at the restaurant opening were saying really nice things about him. All of the people there were warm and inviting. It was hard not to say yes considering, I am new in this city and I was facing the idea of another Friday night alone.
I was very excited as I walked home. But in the cold harsh reality of the next day, I was like what have you done? This poor guy is already super into you and all you are looking for is a friend. The idea of dating someone right now, when you have completely turned your life upside down, is fear-inducing to say the least.
Now I am a really independent person to begin with. I like to say I am perpetually single. I have had boyfriends and serious relationships but I do not bounce from guy to guy. I have no problem most of the time being single. Most of the time, my own company is vastly superior than what is out there. At least, that was true in Kansas City, once of the worst cities to be single. And, as selfish as it sounds, I am for the first time out of Missouri and I want to see what is out there. I want to date. If I can get a date this early, than surely I can get more, right????
Not that is why I moved here at all. I would like to stand on my own two feet and not depend on anyone to help me survive out here. That was the whole point of me being here. I love my family and they are great but for some reason I knew I would never feel like a complete adult if I couldn't make it without them.
So anyway, the date.
We met at the first bar we met at which is a great neighborhood place. We had a couple of drinks and then he took me to a local Mexican place that was great. We sat at the bar first and had a couple of margaritas and the bar put out chips and dip. The dip consisted of three different types of salsas. All were delicious and super fresh. Then we sat down to eat. The whole night consisted of great conversation and a lot of him giving me the greatest complements but it was becoming obvious to me that he was waaaay more invested in this date than the casual encounter I was hoping it was. We ordered food. I got the fish tacos and they were really great. The next plan was to go back to the restaurant that had just opened the night before where some neighborhood people were. I went to the bathroom and realized I have to say something NOW!
I came back from the bathroom and told him. He did not take it well to say the least. He put the ticket they gave us for my umbrella on the table and told me I could just go. I was surprised by his immediate shortness. I told him I am not trying to bail on you but I need to be honest before this goes any further. I told him I wanted to remain friends but my life is crazy right now being that I just moved here 2 weeks ago. He just sat there was like, "What do you want me to say?"
He seriously went from the friendliest and most easy going person to a hard, cold person in a second. I told him that it wouldn't have been fair and he just kept looking at me.
Then he was like, "I am going to have to face the humiliation of telling EVERYONE about this."
Of course in my head I am like, why does everyone know?
Then he was like, "So you are giving me the 'it's you, not me' speech? I can't believe this. This is why I am single."
I am sitting there not knowing what to say. His anger that he is definitely directing at me right now is not all about me.
I told him, "This really has nothing to do with you. This is me being honest about what I can handle right now."
Then he was like, "I was very clear that this was a date last night."
I said, "You are right you were, but while I was ok with the idea last night, once I thought about it, I was not."
I could not believe how awful the whole thing made me feel. Actually, how badly he made me feel. He would not drop it or act like an adult about it. I mean he is definitely older than me. I have never seen someone handle something like that on a first date so badly. Not even in high school. At first I felt bad but now I am like, what the fuck? I do not deserve that. I was just trying to be honest and do the right thing. That is how a child acts when they don't get their way. We had just met Tuesday and the date was on a Friday!!! Are you kidding me? I can understand being excited and then being disappointed but if you projected some whole relationship in the matter of 3 days than that is not me.
-S

Side note: Being forced to spend a significant time in Starbucks lately, let's talk about public electronics etiquette. If you are going to use a program, game, or application that uses a lot of obnoxious sounds, PLEASE put it on silent or use headphones. Thanks.

5 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhhhhh......the joys of dating.....plenty of sexy hot papas waiting and search for you in NY......NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. - That was PAPIS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sucks. But you know now he's probably not someone worth being friends with. He actually sounds like one of the guys in one of the books I read a while back, I thought I passed it on to you, it was called "You Have to Kiss a Lot of Frogs"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I think I have that book. It is definitely in the queue!

    ReplyDelete