Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Trying to Form a Semblance of a Routine...

So I am currently living in my lovely, cozy Upper East Side with only the most modest of living utensils. I will be going home (for less than 24 hours) and packing up the remainder of my belongings in a rented small SUV to bring up here. (Hallelujah!!) I have almost no furniture to speak of and definitely no kitchen utensils. Yes, this means no plates, silverware, pots, pans, or even a wine opener. I really am living with the bare minimum. By the way, has anyone tried to cook a quesadilla using a broiler or a stove burner without the aid of any of these kitchen utensils? Well, I have.
First, you need a constant fear of burning yourself and the entire building down. Because of course, you don't have a fire extinguisher either. Then you turn on the broiler and realize there is no grate or grill. You can't just put the quesadilla directly on the bottom, so I used a paper plate. Yes I realized it "could" have burnt but desperate times and all that. So I put it in there and waited. Checking every two seconds just to make sure the plate wasn't burnt. In the end, it did not burn but did get very warm. Did I mention I don't have any pot holders?
When the cheese finally melted, I decided that the tortilla shell wasn't as crispy as I would like it so I used a trick an old boyfriend showed me but slightly modified. He would put the (plain) tortilla shell directly on a burner with a low flame. Well why wouldn't this work with the whole quesadilla? And of course, I don't have tongs to grab the quesadilla when it bursts into flames so thank goodness it did not. A little part of the tortilla did flake off and catch fire but it went out quickly. And I ate it. I am not sure if it was worth all the stress and anxiety. I will have to have a second go at it.
And also, I am not a super domestic girl. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE food. But I think of eating as a social activity. I hate the idea of whipping out the pots and pans and making a mess to create a meal for one. I just want super easy things to fix for myself.
I have also found out that I am incapable of sitting in night after night by myself. I have to be out and about.
I have also gotten back into running and I am currently running in Central Park! How cool is that? I love it. The park is so cool and big, you almost don't realize you are in NYC. Of course, there is plenty of people watching too. Anyone see the episode of friends where Phoebe and Rachel are going to start running together but the way Phoebe runs embarrasses Rachel? Well I definitely saw a girl running exactly like Phoebe. Almost peed my pants. Hilarious. I mean people had to swerve to miss her flailing arms.

I have yet to see my neighbor across the hall but I hear constant running water from the apartment. I don't know if it is the kitchen or the shower but I kid you not, every time I am either coming or going from the apartment, there is running water. I guess it is good thing water is paid for. Like I go for a run in the morning am gone for about 45 minutes and it is still running. Then I go in take my own shower and leave the apartment and it is still running. Now I am super curious!!
Well I am going for my first after work happy hour with a friend of mine, Kate's friend from grad school. I am very excited!! Plus, tomorrow I get to see my family that I have missed!!
-S

2 comments:

  1. Glad I got you a potholder as a housewarming gift! :-) I'm okay with staying in nights by myself. But if I was in NY, I think it would be harder. But being there would also be better for my walking, as you can just leave and walk to where you want to go. Having to drive to the park and not having sidewalks by my house, is kind of a bad thing for me. Glad I got to see you and you got to meet Dora. Can't wait till I get to come visit you in November!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already put the potholders in my kitchen! It is very hard to stay in when you have all of NY to explore outside of my apartment. But my apartment is coming together and *hopefully* becoming a place I would like to spend time. Can't wait for you to visit!!

    ReplyDelete