Friday, September 2, 2011

A home isn't a really a home...

...until you have furniture. So my apartment is really starting to feel like a relaxing place to come home to. They only things I have left to do is buy a couch, hang some pictures, and organize my pantry/linen closet. Oh yeah I need a nightstand too. But it is really awesome. Plus on tuesday night when mom and I were letting Maverick out before we went to bed, there was, sitting right outside of my building, a coffee table and a desk. So I told mom to stay by them and not let anyone get them while I took Maverick inside. We got the furniture inside and looked them over. They are both in pretty good shape. One of the legs of the desk needs to be tightened but other than that two free pieces of furniture! YAY!! (I think I found my new way to shop!) Then I discovered a thrift store around the corner and found a really nice inflatable bed (brand new) for half the normal price and a microwave cart for half price. This is the way to go!! I am going to IKEA tomorrow to check out a couch so when people visit me (ahem) they have a place to sit. :)
So my mom is here with me and it is interesting. She has the type of personality that is usually very hard to impress and underwhelmed about anything. Up until today, we haven't been able to do any sight-seeing because I have had to work and then we spent all our other time on getting the apartment organized. Trying to get what she would like to see or do out of here is like pulling teeth but when I came home early from work today she said she wanted to go to Central Park. So we walked around Central Park and I finally found the castle! I think she enjoyed that. Then we came back to my neighborhood to this little mexican bistro and had appetizers and margaritas.
Then we took Mav to the dog park. Which was fun. I met some people. Dog owners are the best and friendliest. I think Mav had a lot of fun. We will try to go there at least once a week.
Just got back from having dessert and coffee at this cute little place on 85th and Lex called Little Brown.
Tomorrow is going to be a busy day. Mom wants to see Times Square, Little Italy, Chinatown, World Trade Center, and the New York Public Library. I am not quite sure she can handle the walking that will include but she asked for it. ;)
And great news, I guess dad is going to try to swing it so him and mom can drive up here next month! I can't wait!
-S

2 comments:

  1. I want to go see the castle in Central Park too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I know where it is, no problem! You will love it doubly because it is the weather station for manhattan!

    ReplyDelete