Friday, August 19, 2011

Making friends and getting to know the neighborhood...

Moving to a new place where you know next to no one can be sort of lonely. Yes, I have kept busy with all the fun getting a new apartment and getting settled has been. But after all of that, what is left? Am I doomed for dinner for one forever? So I decided to get out and mingle. I looked up happy hours in my neighborhood and just randomly selected Mollie's Pitcher. They had cosmos for $5 and that sounded absolutely refreshing. I sit down, order a drink. I notice that the lady and gentlemen next to me at the bar are asking the bartender about this week's True Blood. Since I had just watched it the night before, I chimed in. And therefore, I end up meeting Ronia (SP?), the very friendly and generous with the pours, Irish bartender and a couple who just happening to be opening a restaurant this week in the neighborhood. We are all talking and having a good time and then more of their friends show up. I met three more guys who all live in the neighborhood. It was a great time. One of the guys, Stephen, asks for my email to give me information about upcoming events such as a concert on a boat touring around Manhattan and a 5K in the area that has free beer afterward. How cool?? And the couple invited me to the restaurant's family and friends opening night which was last night. :)
It was awesome. 1/2 off drinks and free samplings of the food which was amazing. They had miniature shrimp po'boys, fries roasted in rosemary with a roumelaud sauce, and fried oysters in the same sauce. Very good. I met even more people from the neighborhood. I even met this lady named Rose who is sort of a landmark of the Upper East Side. She is in her 80's but pretty much the cutest thing I have ever seen or talked to. Very sassy and full of personality and life. She was putting back the beers and swearing with everyone else. I absolutely loved her. I met this couple that lives on Roosevelt Island. How cool? Everyone was so nice and friendly. I had a great time. I was stumbling home around 10 thinking, "I think I am going to be okay here." :)
I have dinner plans tonight after work with Stephen and I am really excited. I have a lot of work to get done before then though.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, any Irish guys at that bar? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not yet. I have noticed a lot of germans in the neighborhood though. Will be perfect for when I take my german class. :)

    ReplyDelete