Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A new first: 2 numbers in 1 night.

So a last month, it was a good friend's birthday. Let's call her Mary. So she had a happy hour at Bryant Park Cafe for her friends.  Even her mom came and she was super cute. ;) Bryant Park Cafe is an open air outdoor bar facing Bryant Park and right up next to the New York Public Library (the one that is featured in the movie Ghostbusters).
So we are having a good time drinking and someone (I think it was Jamie) had brought a couple of containers of mini cupcakes from Baked by Melissa.  They were delicious but so many of them! An entire tray of like 12-20 cupcakes were uneaten and none of Mary's friends seemed to want them.  So I decided to help get rid of them. I tried to use them to help a couple of friends go up and talk to guys but while we were trying to decide who to talk to a guy came up and asked for a cupcake.  He was cute, usually my type but still it is rare for guys to just walk up to a girl in NYC, especially a girl with large group.  I told him they were not free.  He asked what the price was and I told him he had to do jumping jacks.  He looked like he was seriously about to start doing jumping jacks and then he said, "Well I really only came over to talk to you and I don't really want the cupcakes." Well played, sir.  He seemed really sweet although maybe trying a little too hard and just saying the things that he "thinks" that I want to here. Like for a 26 year old guy, he was telling me how his last couple of girlfriends had been significantly older than him and also that he liked to cuddle and watch chick flicks. And I am pretty sure that he said something about crying at certain movies. I don't know why guys think girls want to know or hear this. I know I don't. If I found out these things by spending time with a guy that would be ok, but to declare these things to a total stranger just makes you sound weird. Like it is a banner saying, "I am full of shit and I just want you to like me." I don't know. Maybe I am cynical but there it is. Anyway after telling me all about himself and his sensitive ways, he asked for my phone number. I gave it to him because let's be real, it is expensive to eat in this city.  Haven't heard from him since that night.  Why do the whole production? Of coming over and force feeding me these lines only to not go through with it? Doesn't that exhaust you? Or was the whole thing to see if he could even get my number? I just don't understand it. I mean, I don't really care that he never called me or asked me out BUT I just don't understand people who make considerable effort only to not follow through. I can't think of anything that I would make that kind of effort on just to not do anything with. I don't like wasting my time. Anyway.
Then Jamie and I were ordering some food at the bar and these two guys came up and starting talking to us (really good night!).  These guys were super young.  One of them was really cute, he looks a little like James Franco but not his crazy, scruffy homeless self.  His name was Joe.  The one's name was Joey. Hilarious, I know. It was Joe's 23rd birthday.  Turns out he went to the same college as Jamie. Small world.  They were really nice but really young.  They asked how old we were and Jamie chimes in really quickly with 28 (she's not 28) and therefore, I couldn't say 30 so i just echoed that I was 28, as well.  New experience for me.  I have never before lied about my age. Well, not made myself younger anyway. I mean I lied when I was in high school to say I was older.  Joe asked for my number. He did text me later that week wanting to hang out for that Sunday and we agreed on it but when it was Sunday, neither of us texted each other and haven't heard from him since. I am pretty sure that with him being 23, he has the attention span of a gnat.  I think I am just more excited that I had two different guys ask for my number in one night.
-S
P.S. Currently, I am embarking on a new adventure of naughty/dirty texting with a boy who does not live in this city.  It is really fun to torture him as best I am able. Will fill you in on the specifics on a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment