Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Typical vs. Rare Actual Commute on the Always Pleasant Subway

So here is an example of a typical commute to work:
Usually I make it to the 2-3 blocks to the subway uneventfully (now I live 1 very steep avenue further away, boo hiss).  Most likely I will be listening to music on my iPhone to encourage myself to walk faster and to blissfully ignore any potential deterrents or unpleasant disturbances (e.g., panhandlers, crazies, construction workers, just overly horny men in general, etc.)  Next, I am standing on the platform.  I guess I left out the fight through the turnstile, while people are trying to come out the same said turnstile. You just have to barrel your way through or you will be standing there forever.  Also, have your subway card ready. Seriously. Did you just walk all the way to the subway station and not realize you were actually going to take the subway? Was the walk down to the dank, smelly and ridiculously humid subway station sound like a fun thing to do at 9 am on a Tuesday? Just checking.
Check the next train to come on the countdown clock.  (I am fortunate to live near the 4, 5 and 6, which has the countdown clocks. It helps to relieve frustration to know when the next train is coming or not coming.)  Ok. Next train 2 mins.  Constantly look down the tunnel (while trying not to stand to close to the edge) to see if the train is coming yet.  Eye everyone around you. Size them up.  Get a real good look.  Can you take them if it comes between you and a coveted seat?
Train is coming, find your spot where you are certain to be strategically placed right to the right or left of the train car door.  This is all a crap shoot of course if for whatever reason the trains are delayed or you just get to the station at the wrong time and everyone is just smashed into the car together like sardines. Good times, good times.

I kid, I kid. (Not really.)

Ok. Here was my actual commute one morning:
On the platform, blissfully minding my own business, listening to music while playing a game on my phone.  The train pulls up.  The platform isn't crowded and neither is the car, so it is a good sign.  Wait for people to get off the train.  The girl who was waiting on the platform with me, stood on the other side of the door and then did not wait for people to get off.  She practically ran to get a seat.  I mosied on into the train conceding defeat to get the pole to hold on to.  I swear she kept staring at me triumphantly.  Like mocking me that she got a seat and I didn't. If that is the best thing that happens to her today, I feel sorry for her.  I just have to really feel bad for someone who poses a ridiculous competition with an unknowing, and unwilling person.  Seriously? Good job. Your life must suck if you feel the need to gloat to a complete stranger who was even trying for the seat.
So then I safely arrive at Grand Central and go to my normal coffee shop, Financier.  I swear to all that is holy, when I walked in at the end of the line there was a fairly dirty man awkwardly pacing.  Then I noticed him slip one of the fancy, expensive packages of pastries into his Ricky's bag.  Then he awkwardly moved around again and then just walked out.  I wanted to say something but what if I was wrong? I wasn't 100% certain of what I saw.  The more I thought about it, the more I seemed sure that I had in fact witnessed a mostly likely homeless man steal a box of overpriced pastries.  And the other funny thing was no one else seemed to notice either.  Not the works or any of the many people in line.  To be fair though, we are talking about people dying to get their morning caffeine fix and staring at a counter of pastries.  Obviously, that is much more important/pleasant than the dirty/homeless man pacing awkwardly.

Kisses.
-S
P.S. 
On another note, last night I was at Molly Pitcher's having a drink with Jewel and none other than Stefan was sitting at the same end of the bar.  Remember him from like the most awful, awkward date ever when I first moved here???? He stayed at his part of the bar for awhile too.  It seemed like he might've recognized me and been trying to get my attention but I refused to look in that direction at all.  I am not as nice as I was 2 years ago. He does not want to try that again. Trust.


No comments:

Post a Comment