Monday, September 30, 2013

Disappointment, Heat wave, Sushi and Japanese Lessons

So the other day a new friend and I met up for a drink after work.  Our plan was to have a drink or two at the Kimberly Hotel rooftop bar and then go to a jazz club where her brother was playing.  I have heard good things about the rooftop bar there and I have been wanting to try it.  This particular evening was also smack dab in the middle of a heat wave so it is disgustingly hot outside.  So I got to the hotel to wait for her, but then I got a text message saying that she was running late.  I am standing outside the hotel with sweat seriously dripping off of every inch of me.  A drink would be lovely right now.  So I decide to go inside and sit my sweat-covered ass on one of the lovely chair cushions in the hotel lobby while being covertly started at by the hotel employees trying to determine if I am homeless, loitering, etc.  Then I overhear people asking about the rooftop bar and one of the employees says it is closed for a private party. What a bummer.  So I wait inside until I am sure I have outstayed my welcome and go back outside to wait.  Finally, she shows up and we find a bar to have a refreshing, cold beer.
We are just sitting at the bar chatting, and the girl sitting next to her is already drunk with her boyfriend and she keeps moving her stool so she is practically sitting on top of my friend.  So my friend said something to her.  The girl was definitely drunk and not entirely sure the girl understood English.  Then later out of the corner of my eye, I see this guy fall flat on his face.  He didn't crumple or anything.  He seriously fell like a tree that had been chopped down.  Then he laid there and didn't move. It was scary. He fell really hard.  The bartender raced over, practically jumping over the bar and helped his friends pick him up.  He was definitely bleeding, which I do not deal with well at all.  He was standing on his own and after a minute, he passed out again. but this time his friend was behind him and caught him before he hit his head again.  It was really scary because I saw his eyes go back in his head and he had blood on his face.  They got him to sit down and the bartender says to us, "What's the number for an ambulance?"
We look at him. Waiting for an explanation.
He says, "Is it 911?"
We were both like I don't know of another number to call for an emergency.  Maybe he was foreign (which most bartenders are).  Then the ambulance came and carted the guy away.  It was all so dramatic.  We couldn't tell if the guy was drunk or if it was the heat.  Maybe a combination of both?
So then we left and headed to the jazz club, which is called, "Something" Jazz.  It is owned and ran by Japanese people.  So we get to this place and it is upstairs in a nondescript building. Like where an apartment would normally be.
We were greeted by the people at the club in Japanese.
He bowed and said, "Konnichiwa!"
So I bowed too and said it back and the guy was so impressed.
So the music was already playing and it was a nice atmosphere.  We decided to order some food, which of course was SUSHI!
When the server brought our food, I said, "Domo." And they were really excited again! It was pretty cool.  we sat and enjoyed the music and food.  We were even shushed by the owner because we were talking too loud. Oops. Then when we were done, the owner came by to clear away the plates and he promptly lectured us on how we did not eat sushi properly.  Now I already knew  this because I have read many articles on how to eat sushi properly because I hope to go to Japan someday and not embarrass myself and/or get yelled at.  So my friend's faux pas was using too much soy sauce.  He said she drowned it and that makes it too salty.
Then mine was mixing the wasabi with the soy sauce.  Oh well. I still said, "Sayonara" on the way out. :)

-S
P.S. Not the most exciting story that I have but just a typical, random Thursday night out in the city!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I'm guessing there is no way I'd eat sushi right because I'd be taking out things I didn't like. Like cucumbers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, because cucumbers are the most absurd thing for most people with sushi, not the raw fish. :)

    ReplyDelete