Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My tiny apartment seems huge now...

Maverick says, "Hi!"
So my mom left today. Not on a plane but on a train. She is crazy. But I guess at least there is a mode of transport that will get her to visit. So glad to have Maverick here. Would definitely be very lonely without him.
Her visit was good. Started very frantic with losing out on a couple of days due to the hurricane but we got soooo much done while she was here. My couch should get here by this weekend and then it will be almost done and I will post pics. I am pretty proud of it. Not too much decorating done yet but I have ideas. So Sunday we took the ferry to IKEA (because it is in Brooklyn) and that was an experience. Mom and I were only a couple of blocks from where the WTC towers were but she was too tired. Again, my mom is interesting. Well, IKEA was an experience too. One of the most crowded places I had ever seen. THe kind of crowded that just drains any kind of energy you have. I will have to order from there online. YIKES. Or go during an off peak time (if they have one). I took her to Times Square yesterday and I think she really liked it. She wasn't so impressed with the East Village but I was! They had lots of bubble tea places!! Now, I love my neighborhood and everything but I really should have researched the bubble tea ratios. :)
So I think Mom really liked New York. While I was at work most days, she took Mav on several walks and got to know more people in the neighborhood than I do. Like there is a little coffee shop just down the street that these cute Asian girls run who LOVE maverick. They even let him in the store. My kind of place. I think she really liked having the freedom to walk anywhere. She did drive me crazy on how slow she walked. In NY you need to walk pretty fast to avoid multiple things such as being trampled by cars, taxis, busses, bikes, people, hoverrounds, etc. I was so afraid on multiple occasions that she would get lost and/or trampled but she made it through unscathed.
Also, I heard from "Bart" today. He emailed (and texted) saying he got tickets to a broadway show for Thursday, if I was interested. Part of me says, "RUN!" but the other part says, "Well, you have always wanted to go to a Broadway show." Decisions. If he tries anything, or didn't quite get the message from last time, then it will be the last time. I promise. :)
Mom and I also tried this cute little bakery in the 'hood called, Two Little Red Hens. If you are in the area, hell the tri-state area, please try them! I had the Brooklyn Blackout cupcake and mom had the carrot cake cupcake. The most moist and delcious cupcake ever. Must limit to once a week.
-S
Random Revelation of the Day: The subway smells like Worlds of Fun.

2 comments:

  1. Is that where you're taking me for cupcakes? And what do you mean it smells like Worlds of Fun? What part?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes definitely. They are amazing!!! I don't know how I can explain how it smells like worlds of fun. LIke maybe how the line waiting for the old Orient Express used to smell with the old gum stuck on the trees.

    ReplyDelete