Monday, July 29, 2013

Promoters, Wankers and Men with Serious Psychological Issues...

So here is the 2nd part of the evening of the last post...

So the night just keeps getting better and better. So Jamie, her friend and I are trying to catch a cab home from the Meatpacking District at 3 am, which is just about impossible, a guy approaches me and asks, "Can I ask you a question?"

Of course my initial thought was to say get the hell away from me and stop trying to steal my cabs because I just want to catch a cab and go home BUT being the nice Midwestern girl I am (that refuses to be beaten by NYC), I said, "Sure..." (Very hesitantly.)

He says, "What would you say if I told you that I loved you?"

Now I just gave him this look, waiting for the punchline or the excuse that he is on ecstasy.  So given that it was 3 am was about the only thing that kept me from laughing in his face and I was just too tired given the events of the evening so I said to him, "Well, I would find that very off putting."

He says, "You seem like a girl who finds a lot of things off putting." (which is very true)  It is a good thing I have learned to no longer be insulted by random people's observations about me.  So I said, "Yes, that is probably true." So he says, "Come to a party with me." I will preface this with the entire time this exchange is happening, I have my hand raised trying to catch a cab. I am barely looking at him and he is (thankfully) standing about 3-5 feet from me. So I am not showing him any interest. I don't even know if I smiled at him.  The delusions that some men have... I will also remind you that he is a total and complete stranger so of course I said, "I don't think so, I just want to go home."

Then he says, "I hate you." Well there you go... So now this just annoying me and distracting me from the task at hand. So I said to him, "Has anyone ever told you that you might be bipolar?"

He says, "No, I just say a lot of things I don't mean.  All guys do." WOW. Well this IS true but still...

So I replied, "So either you are a liar or a psychopath.  You shouldn't disparage all men."

Then he says this gem, "Every guy is lying when they say I love you.  Every guy who has ever said this to you was lying."  Like I have said, I didn't ask for his opinion. I wasn't crying to my girlfriend about my love life (or lack thereof), I was minding my business just trying to go home. I will admit that when I was younger I would have actually given this asshole's verbal diarrhea some credence.  I would have been like, "Is that true?" I have no idea what his goal was or what he thought he was accomplishing by saying all of this complete crap to me.  Maybe he assumed that because I was going home by myself, I have low self esteem and can be easily berated into believing that I only deserve someone who treats me like crap. Whatever.

At least I am mature now (mostly) and I know that all of the crap coming out of his mouth is exactly that.  I just told him that I was choosing not to believe that and I immediately found where Jamie was and started talking to her.  When I stopped talking to him, he said, "I am bored. This is lame," and walked off. Yes, I agree. It must be lame when you come up and try in every way to insult and rile up a complete stranger only for them to not fall all over themselves at your feet. I wish you luck but keep walking...

That same night there was an insane, rude cab driver (which there are absolutely no shortage of those stories in this crazy city).  Will have to save that for part 3...
Be safe out there, it is a zoo.
-S


1 comment: