Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Second Set of Visitors and Settling In...

So my parents came up last week and stayed for about 5 days. It was pretty awesome. I couldn't take as much time off of work to spend with them but I think they had a good time. I had fun just hanging out with them. It was a pretty big surprise that my dad could get time off of work to make it up here so I am really grateful. We had all kinds of mishaps and adventures that are normal for our family vacations such as my dad buying souvenirs for everyone, carrying it around all day and then leaving it in the cab. Not sure if it will get recovered or not. Still working on it. Also, on the way up here, my dad accidentally went in the toll lane for the EZ Pass instead of the cash only lane. He managed to get through and is still awaiting the ticket or fine in the mail. Of course we just kind of explored my neighborhood and enjoyed each other company. Didn't do any much different than if we would have all been back in Liberty and of course, Maverick liked having the house full of people to pet him. When they left on Sunday, it was much harder than I thought it would be. I cried and was pretty sad for a good hour or so. I called my friend Steph because she has been out here for like 6 years so I am sure she has been through it and wanted to know if it gets easier. She said it does get easier but you never stop missing them. It feels weird at 28 to miss my parents so much. I didn't even have that hard of time without them in college. Oh well.
So this pay period, I am broke so nothing too exciting. Must stay in and eat the food my mom cooked for me. I know HUGE hardship. ;) Things will be better after the next paycheck. And of course this is when there are mistakes with fandango taking too much money out when I purchased mine and my sister's midnight showing of breaking dawn. Hopefully, the money will be put back in my account by today or tomorrow. It is also helpful that I have plenty of tv shows to catch up on so I am not bored.
Found out a friend from college lives here in the city too. Can't wait to meet up with him and his boyfriend. Haven't seen him since college. Was supposed to meet up with him tomorrow night but I already had made plans with Amiran (my mom's friend's adopted/foreign exchange student). He is going to introduce me to one of his friends who lives in my neighborhood.
Weird to have conflicting plans. Hasn't happened so far in NY. Signs of an actual social life to come?
My sister comes to visit in like a month and half. Can't wait. Going to be exhausted because of all the plans she is making but it will be fun. And less pressure because she knows exactly what she wants to see and do.
Broke down and joined a gym that I can't really afford but I hate the extra weight I have gained since moving here. You would think with walking everywhere that wouldn't happen but the bagels are the devil. I think I need a bagel intervention or aversion program. So hopefully by the time thanksgiving comes around I will be back or close to where I should be.
Steph came up last night and stayed because she goes to school in Manhattan once a week. It was nice to see her. I need to make her a set of keys.
Oh yeah, I joined a book club and our first meeting is next Tuesday night at some restaurant. Supposed to read a short novel before then but I need to finish the book I was already reading. Only about 60 more pages to go but so little time in the day. Maybe I need to start reading it on the subway.
And I had my first subway groping experience yesterday. It was creepy. I was about to turn around and yell at him but I chickened out. Next time...
Two days ago, a guy hit me with his umbrella and I yelled at him but he didn't even turn around.
A couple of possible flirtations in the works but nothing concrete yet and since I am wary of relationships anyway not going to act on anything. Just going to let them happen or not happen. Maybe more next time.
-S
Tip: Don't give crazies the benefit of the doubt of shouting coherent, rational thoughts. If a crazy starts talking in your direction: ignore, keeping walking, look the other way, etc. No matter what. You will just be frustrated when you try to make sense of the nonsense coming out of their mouth.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to come! I know I have lots of plans, but we probably won't be able to do them all, and that's okay. I'm going to try to save some money to come visit you during my spring break in March. I didn't know Steph was coming up to visit you so often. That's so cool! As for weight, I'm going to be fat again. No time to exercise with working 3 jobs right now. And I'm not eating like I should either, no time means I don't feel like cooking what I should. As soon as I have money I intend to start Weight Watchers again, and I need to figure out a way to quit my 3rd job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was telling mom that with all of your plans I don't think we will be able to do any of the cute places in my neighborhood but that is ok. We can do them when you come back. Be careful with the gaining weight. I gained some weight since moving up here. The bagel shops are everywhere. But i joined a gym and started running again and I am making extra time to walk a little bit further instead of taking the subway all the way. Like today, I walking to Lincoln Center instead of taking the bus or subway. It will take 45 minutes instead of 30. Not bad plus it is a nice day.

    ReplyDelete